Monday, July 19, 2004

from my journal, 7-18-04

I got off the train at 7:30 this morning in Santiago.  While I was trying (and failing) to understand how to lock my backpack in the consigne, I guess everyone who exited the train with me had already gone.
 
So it was empty as I walked up the hill towards the center of town.  As I got closer, clumps of drunken teenagers materialized, some still clutching their glasses of beer.  A pair of weaving girls stopped me to ask where the Praza de Galicia was.  I pointed the way because I knew it from looking at the map earlier, but it struck me that you´d have to be pretty drunk to mistake me for someone who knows where she´s going.
 
I continued going up, out of the new city, following a narrow stone street.
 
Another group of teenagers noticed me smirking at an enormous padded bra in a store window and struck up a conversation.  We continued chatting in english and spanish until one of them cried, "Oh, my head! I can´t think anymore!" and they said their goodbyes.
 
I made it to the cathedral as the bells rang for 8 o´clock. And what a church!  I won´t even bother to try to describe the building itself, but the whole edifice sits on a hill that overlooks misty mountains.  I´m sitting in the main plaza now, partly because it´s beautiful and partly because there seem to be fewer groups of winos here than elsewhere.
 
I´m watching pilgrims arrive, which is a pretty good pastime.  A group of bicyclists in bright blue and pink racing uniforms are posing for a portrait in front of the church.  Some pilgrims leap for joy or hug one another when they arrive.  Some put down their packs, look up, shrug, and move on.  I guess everyone has their own way experiencing something they´ve been hiking three weeks to see.
 
By 10am the narrow streets echo with the clattering of pilgrims´wooden walking sticks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home